The office: it’s where most of us spend the majority of our time. And we probably don’t realise how much of that time is spent relying on a few key appliances to make our lives that much easier.
We are going to profile some of these unsung appliance heroes that make such a difference to worker and environmental wellbeing.
The Appliances that Bring Joy to Our Workweek
- Air Conditioning: Temperature makes a huge difference to office productivity—cooling or heating our bodies to optimal temperatures is a distraction that takes our focus away from work. We all know the misery of being too hot or cold. That’s why air conditioning is key for keeping the office at a hospitable temperature year round. And happy employees means a better, more efficient workplace. To maximise energy efficiency, go for units that have a Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER) of 13 or higher. And regular maintenance will ensure it runs efficiently, spelling even more energy savings.
- Dehumidifier: Whilst air conditioning keeps the temperature pleasant, it won’t tackle humidity. An often-overlooked barrier to harmonious working conditions, it’s more than just a distraction—if left unaddressed, humidity exacerbates health problems such as asthma and other allergies. It’s an office essential. To be kinder on the environment, we’d recommend opting for a desiccant rather than compressor dehumidifier. Beyond that, the type of unit you choose depends on your office size and current humidity levels—find your solution in this guide to dehumidifiers.
- Water Dispenser: There’s no doubt that a hydrated employee is a happy and productive one—hence the ubiquity of office water coolers. But this office icon has come a long way from the plastic bottle guzzling apparatus of old. With the environment in mind, many have now jettisoned bottles in favour of more sustainable alternatives—the most popular being Point of Use water dispensers that filter, cool and even heat water from your main supply. It’s an environmentally friendly, space saving and efficient alternative.
- Coffee Machine: No office would be complete without a steady source of coffee—it’s an integral part of office life. But coffee, and the machines that make it, can come with a hefty carbon footprint. Apart from buying ethically sourced coffee, remedy this by steering clear of capsule machines—the waste they produce and energy used for just one cup make them terrible for the planet. Cafetières are the most eco friendly choice, but perhaps less practical in an office setting. Bean to Cup machines make one bag of beans go a long way, and are generally much more energy efficient. Choose your model depending on how coffee crazed your office is: a low volume machine will yield 50 cups a day, medium 100 to 150 and high 200 to 500.
- Security: Possibly more extreme than the other reasons listed, but employees need to make sure that they feel safe and secure in order to be happy in the office. Companies such as Security Direct provide a whole range of security protection for your business. From security doors to spikes and shutters, you want to feel content at work, and not worry about potential dangers while you work.
A comfortable office is a happy one—that’s why appliances play such an important role in every workplace. Keep them environmentally friendly and you’ve got a better solution for all.