WWF Scotland director Lang Banks has today (Tuesday 30 August) reacted to the news that testing will begin in Orkney on the world’s most powerful tidal turbine.
The WWF Scotland director released the following statements:
“News that the world’s most powerful tidal turbine is to begin trials in Orkney underlines the important role Scotland currently plays in the development of marine renewables globally.
We hope the sea trials are successful and the findings are helpful to the wider industry
- Greenpeace Reaction To Government’s Industrial Strategy Statement
- Experts Say Scotland Has Chance To Transform Energy Sector
- New Report Reveals Banks Aren’t Doing Enough To Fight Climate Change
- Redmoor Academy Opens Ultra Sustainable ‘Amazing Building’
- Friends Of The Earth Climate Warning For Donald Trump
“We hope the sea trials are successful and the findings are helpful to the wider industry as it seeks to find cost-effective ways to harness the pollution-free power of our seas.
“Alongside measures to improve energy efficiency, marine renewables have the potential to play a significant role in powering our homes and businesses in the future. If we are to secure such a future it’s important that the Scottish Government’s forthcoming energy strategy sets an ambition to secure at least half of all our energy needs from renewables by 2030. Such an ambition will ensure Scotland maximises the benefits from a transition to a zero-carbon economy.”