For championing enlightened business and share ownership and providing a clear vision of what responsible enterprise and investment can achieve.
Read more about the 2015 Sustainability Personality of the Year and Blue & Green Marbles here.
After 15 years as a manager in manufacturing businesses, Mark initiated the RSA Tomorrow’s Company inquiry into ‘the role of business in a changing world’. The resulting report, published in 1995 led to the creation of Tomorrow’s Company as an independent, business-led think tank. It also laid the foundations for the “enlightened shareholder value” approach in the redefinition of the directors’ duties in the 2006 Companies Act.
Mark has served in advisory capacities for British Airways, BT, Co-operative Financial Services and Novo Nordisk, and currently with Alliance Boots, and Camelot.
- #bluegreenmarbles Vote for Dame Vivienne Westwood, fashion designer and businesswoman #sustainpersonoftheyear15
- #bluegreenmarbles Vote for Sarah Butler-Sloss and Mark Sainsbury for Divest Invest (Europe) #sustainpersonoftheyear15
- #bluegreenmarbles Vote for Roger Harrabin and Tom Heap of the BBC #sustainpersonoftheyear15
- #bluegreenmarbles Vote for Nicola Sturgeon, First Minister of Scotland #sustainpersonoftheyear15
- #bluegreenmarbles Vote for Karl Harder, Louise Wilson & Bruce Davies, Abundance Generation #sustainpersonoftheyear15
A broadcaster, writer and winner of the Institute of Management Studies Tillers Millennium Trophy for best speaker, Mark was Director Magazine Director of the Month in June 2004. Journalist Anthony Hilton described Tomorrow’s Company as “five years ahead of the pack in looking at what is needed in governance terms to make British companies sustainable wealth creators”.
In recent years he has concentrated on the issue of board and investor responsibilities for stewardship, co-authoring a report with the Institute for Family Business on Family Business Stewardship.
He is currently a member of the UK’s Investor Stewardship Working Party which in 2012 launched the 2020 Stewardship report.