Official proposals have been lodged by a Labour MSP today calling for a legal ban on fracking in Scotland.
Claudia Beamish MSP is putting forward a Private Members Bill calling for an outright ban, highlighting its damaging effects on the climate as well as local environmental concerns.
Welcoming the move, Lang Banks, director of WWF Scotland said:
“It’s great to see Scottish Labour acting on its commitment to an outright ban on fracking by bringing forward this bill. There is overwhelming public opinion in favour of cleaner forms of energy and a sufficient body of evidence on why unconventional oil and gas are neither good for people or the planet. ”
- Industry Appeals With Government To ‘Remove Barriers For Energy Storage’
- Independent Review Backs Plans For Tidal Lagoon Project
- Tidal To Play An Important Role In Clean Power According To FoE
- UK-GBC Propose Increased Power To Cities For New-Build Housing Developments
- Power To 9 Million UK Homes Could Come From Tidal Lagoons
There is overwhelming public opinion in favour of cleaner forms of energy
“The climate science is clear, the vast majority of known fossil fuel reserves need to be left in the ground. Scotland should instead be playing to its natural advantages in clean, green renewable energy and capitalising on the jobs, climate benefits and health improvements a zero carbon future can deliver.”