Official proposals have been lodged by a Labour MSP today calling for a legal ban on fracking in Scotland.
Claudia Beamish MSP is putting forward a Private Members Bill calling for an outright ban, highlighting its damaging effects on the climate as well as local environmental concerns.
Welcoming the move, Lang Banks, director of WWF Scotland said:
“It’s great to see Scottish Labour acting on its commitment to an outright ban on fracking by bringing forward this bill. There is overwhelming public opinion in favour of cleaner forms of energy and a sufficient body of evidence on why unconventional oil and gas are neither good for people or the planet. ”
- WWF Scotland Praise New Energy Strategy
- Friends Of The Earth Scotland Respond To Scotland’s Energy Strategy
- ‘Landmark Moment’ For Industry Welcomed By Scottish Renewables
- Cost Of Offshore Wind Farm’s Power Drops 32% In Five Years, Friends Of The Earth Respond
- A Step Towards Change By The Industrial Strategy
There is overwhelming public opinion in favour of cleaner forms of energy
“The climate science is clear, the vast majority of known fossil fuel reserves need to be left in the ground. Scotland should instead be playing to its natural advantages in clean, green renewable energy and capitalising on the jobs, climate benefits and health improvements a zero carbon future can deliver.”