Today Global Universities Partnership on Environment and Sustainability GUPES Members have been announced as finalists for the GUPES Green Gown Awards. The awards are jointly supported by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the Environmental Association for Universities and Colleges (EAUC). Winners will be announced on 12 September at a ceremony at MIT, Boston.
The GUPES Green Gown Awards is a joint initiative supported by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the Environmental Association for Universities and Colleges (EAUC), which expands the Green Gown Awards further across the globe, with an emphasis on profiling and learning from the Southern Hemisphere.
This exciting partnership with the GUPES will put universities and colleges as leaders in sustainability as well as being able to continue their learning from global leaders. The GUPES Green Gown Awards were open to GUPES Members across 6 regions (Africa, Asia and the Pacific, Europe, Latin America and the Caribbean, North America and West Asia). The GUPES Green Gown Award Winner from each of the regions will automatically be entered into the International Green Gown Awards contest.
Iain Patton, CEO of EAUC, said: “All around the world universities are beacons of hope for a more sustainable future. The GUPES Green Gown Awards recognise and celebrate the powerful contribution of university staff and students and most importantly let us learn and benefit from their excellence.”
The finalists are:
Africa: Continuous Improvement: Institutional Change
- Strathmore University, Kenya
Asia and the Pacific: Community Engagement
- Aklan State University, Philippines
- De La Salle University, Philippines
- Fiji National University, Fiji
- Xavier University, Philippines
Europe: Student Engagement
- Ca’ Foscari University of Venice, Italy
- Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
Latin America and the Caribbean: Community Engagement
- Red Costarricense de Instituciones Educativas Sostenibles (REDIES), Costa Rica
- Universidad Nacional del Centro del Peru, Peru
- Universidad del Norte, Colombia
- Universidad San Francisco de Quito, Eduador
- Universidad San Ignacio de Loyola, Peru
North America: Student Engagement
- McGill University, Canada
- University of British Columbia, Canada
Further details on the GUPES Green Gown Awards can be found here.
The GUPES Green Gown Awards and the International Green Gown Awards are administered by the Environmental Association for Universities and Colleges (EAUC).