As part of the Clean Energy Ministerial (CEM), UK Trade & Investment has produced a video detailing Britain’s renewable energy exploits.
Some of the key facts from the production include:
- From 2016, all new homes in the UK must be zero carbon.
- UK solar costs have reduced by 45% since 2009.
- Offshore wind will provide 17% of the UK’s energy needs by 2020.
- The UK Government has committed £1 billion to fund the emergence of CCS technology.
- By 2017, onshore wind will be providing electricity to more than five million UK homes.
- 25% of the world’s wave and tidal energy projects are led by UK businesses.
Energy secretary Ed Davey and trade and investment minister Lord Green are two of the notable figures to appear in the rather inspiring video.
Davey opened the CEM today with an address that challenged Government and businesses to adopt clean energy, and will be making a keynote environmental speech at the event tomorrow.