Farm animal welfare has been supported by eighteen institutional signatories. The investors, who represent £1.5 trillion in assets, have released a statement on farm animal welfare, believing that it is potentially material to long-term investment value creation in the food sector. They are working closely with the Business Benchmark on Farm Animal Welfare.
The investors commit to taking account of farm animal welfare when analysing food companies and to encouraging high standards across the food industry. They also point to the Business Benchmark on Farm Animal Welfare as a framework that can be used by companies and by investors to guide their work on farm animal welfare.
Nicky Amos, Programme Director at Business Benchmark on Farm Animal Welfare said: “This is the first time that institutional investors have supported a formal public statement on farm animal welfare. It is a clear sign that we farm animal welfare is transitioning from being seen as a niche ethical issue to one that is recognised as an important source of business risk and of opportunity.”
The investors include BNP Paribas Investment Partners, Coller Capital, Schroders, Tridos Bank, Walden Asset Management, Robecco, Aviva Investors, The Central Finance Board of the Methodist Church, Australian Ethical, Epworth Investment Management, ASR Nederland and Trillium Asset Management.
Dr Rory Sullivan, Expert Advisor to the Business Benchmark on Farm Animal Welfare added: “The Business Benchmark has played a catalytic role in changing investors’ views on farm animal welfare. It provides investors with a robust, independent and credible assessment of corporate practice and performance on farm animal welfare, and is presented in a way that enables these to be incorporated into investment models and to underpin engagement programmes.”
The signatories have released a statement agreeing on the following points:
- They believe the issue of farm animal welfare is potentially material to long-term investment value creation in the food sector, and is a relevant consideration when forming views on the strategic positioning of companies in the food sector.
- They believe that food companies have an important role to play in raising farm animal welfare standards within their own operations and in their supply chains.
- They welcome the development of the Business Benchmark on Farm Animal Welfare. We see it as a credible, transparent and independent tool that we can use to assess the quality of companies’ policies, practices and performance on the issue of farm animal welfare. We also see it as an important tool for encouraging better reporting on farm animal welfare across the food sector.
- They believe that the Business Benchmark on Farm Animal Welfare will contribute towards creating greater awareness within the food industry of this important issue, and act as a tool for highlighting leadership and good practice, as well as gaps and challenges.
- They will, as appropriate, take account of the information provided by the Business Benchmark on Farm Animal Welfare in our analysis of the food companies in which we invest.
- They will encourage food companies to use the Business Benchmark on Farm Animal Welfare as a practical tool to help them manage their farm animal welfare issues and as a framework to guide their reporting on farm animal welfare.
- They will provide investor input into the evolution of the Business Benchmark on Farm Animal Welfare to ensure that it remains relevant to the needs and interests of long-term responsible investors.
Like our Facebook Page
Strange Ways the Sporting World Impacts the Environment
The Future of Cryptocurrency is Eco-Friendlier than the Present
Why Bill Gates Is Wrong on the Climate Impact of Bitcoin
Everything You Need to Know to Create an Eco-Friendly Nursery
4 Environmental Benefits of Using A Buckwheat Pillow
Eco-Friendly Ways to Dispose of The Office Furniture!
7 Huge Advantages of Using Solar Power at Home
5 Important Changes to Become An Eco-Friendly Nicotine User
4 Great Ways to be a Committed Eco-Tourist While Flying
7 Basic Types of Forex Charts Ethical Investors Must Understand
How to Make Your Ecommerce Business More Eco-Friendly?
How Can Social Media Help In Promoting Sustainable Lifestyle?
Luxury Development for The Ultra-Rich Causing Climate Change Conundrum in Barbuda
How Does Bitcoin Mining Work and is it Eco-Friendly?
Is Gen Z Ahead of Millennials in Terms of Eco-Investing?
Four Reasons Why Buying Used Cars Is the Way to Go Green
There is no Planet B: The Growing Importance of ESG
Wonderful Environmental Monitoring Tips to Keep Indoor Air Clean
The Tremendous Benefits of Investing in Energy-Efficient Windows
4 Morning Productivity Tips for Green Entrepreneurs that Are Night Owls
- Features10 months ago
Eco-Friendly Interior Design Is Easier Than You Might Think
- Features7 months ago
Eco-Friendly Hacks To Create A Durable Shop For Your Home
- Features8 months ago
5 Simple Ways To Create A Greener And Healthier Home
- Environment11 months ago
The Benefits Of Sustainable Agriculture For Farmers