Friends of the Earth’s senior political campaigner acknowledged to news that Theresa May will be the next leader of the Conservative Party and the new Prime Minister, Liz Hutchins, commented:
“Theresa May has the opportunity to create a positive vision for Britain.
“The UK should be a global leader on climate change and protect boldly our wonderful natural world.
- Friends Of The Earth React To News That 2016 Is Hottest Year On Record
- Climate Risks Causing Storm Surge To Threaten Coast
- Trump’s Victory Triggers US Trade Association to Attack Climate Policy Again
- Leading International Asset Owners Launch Climate Change Investment Initiative
- Demand For Electric Cars Boosts UK Car Market
“It is young people who will live the longest with political decisions made now, and the world they inherit should not be compromised: environmental protection should be at the heart of government decisions.
“A commitment to uphold and strengthen environmental protection, whatever the outcome of negotiations with Europe is what is needed now. Theresa May must not concede to voices pushing for a race to the bottom on environmental and social protections.”