Friends of the Earth climate campaigner, Guy Shrubsole, responded today to a committee of MP’s request to overhaul the Environment Agency in order to protect communities from rising flood risks.
His comment can be seen below:
“Abolishing the Environment Agency’s role in flooding, as this report proposes, is a terrible idea, which would waste vital expertise and could cause more delays in planning better ways to avoid flooding.
“The environment committee clearly understands that better management of our rivers and waterways needs more joined-up thinking – not less. This includes working with nature across entire river catchments and dealing with climate change.
- See Them While You Can: Places that Might be Changed Forever by Climate Change
- Applications For German Energy Start Up Award Accepted Until The End Of January
- Campaigners Appeal With EU To Make Food Waste Promise Binding
- 10 things every person can do to prevent climate change
- WWF Scotland Praise New Energy Strategy
“Government should heed MPs’ welcome proposals to tackle flooding at root – but not distracting proposals to break up the Environment Agency.”