Every household loves pets, whether it’s furry friends or aquatic ones. Aquariums and fish tanks can be quite expensive depending on the size and the materials used. However, you can quite easily create your own aquarium using a spare storage box in your house by following the instructions below, saving not only your bank balance, but the earth too!
Step 1: Check your storage box
Before you even begin to turn your storage box into an aquarium, you should check whether the box is designed to hold large quantities of water. If the plastic used for your storage box is not strong enough, the risk of water leaking dramatically increases. It’s also vital that you check the type of plastic used. Certain types of plastic are not suitable for aquarium use and can have a harmful effect on the fish in the aquarium.
Step 2: Place the box
After you have checked whether your storage box is suitable to be converted into an aquarium, you now have to decide where to place it. Almost any location is fine as long as you leave enough room to fit an external filter (if needed) and don’t place it in direct sunlight.
Step 3: Add gravel and water
When you have decided where your aquarium is going to be placed, it is then time to add the water and gravel to the aquarium. The gravel that is going to be used in the aquarium should be washed before it is placed in the container. You should also make sure that the water is safe for fish. Quite often, the water is ‘contaminated’ with chlorine. Before anything else is placed in your aquarium, you need to neutralise the water with a de-chlorinator.
Step 4: Install the filter and heater
The filter and heater are the two most important components when installing a new aquarium. An ideal filter to use in a storage box aquarium would be a canister filter. This filter is designed to go inside the aquarium and works with any size. Although its primary function is to return cleaned water, the canister filter can also work as a heater as it manages to heat the water when passing through the filter. This filter is especially useful if you are going to have tropical fish in your aquarium.
Step 5: Add decorations
Adding decorations to your aquarium, such as plants or plastic ornaments, will help your fish settle into the aquarium as it gives them a place to hid and make them feel safe. Although the decorations are largely for the view, some fish can respond better to decorations which remind them of their natural habitat and allow them to settle into the aquarium better.
Step 6: Wait 24 hours
After your aquarium has been filled with water, gravel, filters, heaters, and decorations, you should leave it alone for 24 hours. This allows the aquarium to settle and stabilises the water temperature.
Step 7: It’s ready
After you have waited for 24 hours, your storage box aquarium should now be ready to use. All that is left to do is to allow your fish to acclimatise to the water and release them in your new aquarium.
You should have now created a fully functioning aquarium, for the whole household to enjoy!
Ways Green Preppers Are Trying to Protect their Privacy
Environmental activists are not given the admiration that they deserve. A recent poll by Gallup found that a whopping 32% of Americans still doubt the existence of global warming. The government’s attitude is even worse.
Many global warming activists and green preppers have raised the alarm bell on climate change over the past few years. Government officials have taken notice and begun tracking their activity online. Even former National Guard officers have admitted that green preppers and climate activists are being targeted for terrorist watchlists.
Of course, the extent of their surveillance depends on the context of activism. People that make benign claims about climate change are unlikely to end up on a watchlist, although it is possible if they make allusions to their disdain of the government. However, even the most pacifistic and well intentioned environmental activists may unwittingly trigger some algorithm and be on the wrong side of a criminal investigation.
How could something like this happen? Here are some possibilities:
- They could share a post on social media from a climate extremist group or another individual on the climate watchlist.
- They could overly politicize their social media content, such as being highly critical of the president.
- They could use figures of speech that may be misinterpreted as threats.
- They might praise the goals of a climate change extremist organization that as previously resorted to violence, even if they don’t condone the actual means.
Preppers and environmental activists must do everything in their power to protect their privacy. Failing to do so could cost them their reputation, future career opportunities or even their freedom. Here are some ways that they are contacting themselves.
Living Off the Grid and Only Venturing to Civilization for Online Use
The more digital footprints you leave behind, the greater attention you draw. People that hold controversial views on environmentalism or doomsday prepping must minimize their digital paper trail.
Living off the grid is probably the best way to protect your privacy. You can make occasional trips to town to use the Wi-Fi and stock up on supplies.
Know the Surveillance Policies of Public Wi-Fi Providers
Using Wi-Fi away from your home can be a good way to protect your privacy.However, choosing the right public Wi-Fi providers is going to be very important.
Keep in mind that some corporate coffee shops such a Starbucks can store tapes for up to 60 days. Mom and pop businesses don’t have the technology nor the interest to store them that long. They generally store tips for only 24 hours and delete them afterwards. This gives you a good window of opportunity to post your thoughts on climate change without being detected.
Always use a VPN with a No Logging Policy
Using a VPN is one of the best ways to protect your online privacy. However, some of these providers do a much better job than others. What is a VPN and what should you look for when choosing one? Here are some things to look for when making a selection:
- Make sure they are based in a country that has strict laws on protecting user privacy. VPNs that are based out of Switzerland, Panama for the British Virgin Islands are always good bets.
- Look for VPN that has a strict no logging policy. Some VPNs will actually track the websites that you visit, which almost entirely defeats the purpose. Most obviously much better than this, but many also track Your connections and logging data. You want to use a VPN that doesn’t keep any logs at all.
- Try to choose a VPN that has an Internet kill switch. This means that all content will stop serving if your VPN connection drops, which prevents your personal data from leaking out of the VPN tunnel.
You will be much safer if you use a high-quality VPN consistently, especially if you have controversial views on climate related issues or doomsday prepping.
How Going Green Can Save Your Business Thousands
Running a company isn’t easy. From reporting wages in an efficient way to meeting deadlines and targets, there’s always something to think about – with green business ideas giving entrepreneurs something extra to ponder. While environmental issues may not be at the forefront of your mind right now, it could save your business thousands, so let’s delve deeper into this issue.
Small waste adds up over time
A computer left on overnight might not seem like the end of the world, right? Sure, it’s a rather minor issue compared to losing a client or being refused a loan – but small waste adds up over time. Conserving energy is an effective money saver, so to hold onto that hard-earned cash, try to:
- Turn all electrical gadgets off at the socket rather than leaving them on standby as the latter can crank up your energy bill without you even realizing.
- Switch all lights off when you exit a room and try switching to halogen incandescent light bulbs, compact fluorescent lamps or light emitting diodes as these can use up to 80 per cent less energy than traditional incandescent and are therefore more efficient.
- Replace outdated appliances with their greener counterparts. Energy Star appliances have labels which help you to understand their energy requirements over time.
- Draught-proof your premises as sealing up leaks could slash your energy bills by 30 per cent.
Going electronic has significant benefits
If you don’t want to be buried under a mountain of paperwork, why not opt for digital documents instead of printing everything out? Not only will this save a lot of money on paper and ink but it will also conserve energy and help protect the planet. You may even be entitled to one of the many tax breaks and grants issued to organizations committed to achieving their environmental goals. This is particularly good news for start-ups with limited funds as the Environment Protection Agency (EPA) is keen to support companies opening up their company in a green manner.
Of course, if you’re used to handing out brochures and leaflets at every company meeting or printing out newsletters whenever you get the chance, going electronic may be a challenge – but here are some things you can try:
- Using PowerPoint presentations not printouts
- Communicating via instant messenger apps or email
- Using financial software to manage your books
- Downloading accounting software to keep track of figures
- Arranging digital feedback and review forms
- Making the most of Google Docs
Going green can help you to make money too
Going green and environmental stability is big news at the moment with many companies doing their bit for the environment. While implementing eco-friendly strategies will certainly save you money, reducing your carbon footprint could also make you a few bucks too. How? Well, consumers care about what brands are doing more than ever before, with many deliberately siding with those who are implementing green policies. Essentially, doing your bit for the environment is a PR dream as it allows you to talk about what everyone wants to hear.
Going green can certainly save your money but it should also improve your reputation too and give you a platform to promote your business.