Climate change negotiators are meeting in Bonn to establish a plan for cutting global carbon emissions ahead of the major climate summit in Paris in December.
Christiana Figueres, the executive secretary of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, told the Today (4mins) programme she was surprised by the progress of their talks.
“The sum total of what we have already on the table has actually surprised us,” Ms Figueres told the programme.
“Once the Paris agreement is in place it will send a very strong signal,” she said.
- Solar Impulse Promotes Clean Tech Solutions To Solve Climate Change
- New UN report cites huge positive policy potential to cut greenhouse gas emissions
- Most popular on Blue Green October 2015
- UNFCCC: Global Response to Climate Change Keeps Door Open to 2 Degree C Temperature Limit
- Christiana Figueres & Adair Turner flag financial risks of climate change ahead of Paris Summit
“We will have a very virtuous cycle… technology, capital, and policy will actually help to accelerate the change.”