The 5th annual ‘Bonds and Climate Change: State of the Market in 2016’ report will be presented today at the HSBC Sustainable Financing Briefing by Sean Kidney, CEO of Climate Bonds Initiative, as part of the opening events of Climate Week.
This annual flagship report from Climate Bonds is the only global analysis of the climate-aligned bond universe. Our analysis discovers and quantifies those bonds that are being used to finance low carbon and climate resilient infrastructure; this includes bonds that are labelled as green as well as bonds that are financing climate solutions but do not carry the green label.
Key findings include:
- The global climate-aligned bonds universe now stands at $694bn outstanding – A jump of $96bn (16%) from the 2015 figure. This total is comprised of unlabelled climate-aligned bonds at $576bn and labelled green bonds at $118bn
- The universe is made up of over 3,590 bonds (issued from Jan 2005 to May 2016) from 780 individual issuers across transport, energy, buildings and industry, water, waste and pollution and agriculture and forestry
- In the US climate aligned universe – corporates accounted for 67% of the US total, Muni / provincial / city 23% and project bonds 10%
- At 16%, the USA is the second largest country of issuance behind China. Burlington North Santa Fe is the largest issuer from within the USA, making up 17% of USA issuance alone. While issuers in the
- Energy theme tend to be much smaller, they are also more numerous with over 200 separate Energy issuers making up a total of $28bn issuance
- Climate Bonds identified $30bn of climate-aligned US muni bonds, 68% of which are unlabelled, $9.7bn is labelled, $20.4bn is unlabelled
- Transport accounts for 58% of the US climate aligned universe, energy at 25%, water at 6%
Labelled US green bonds:
- USD is the dominant issuing currency for labelled green bonds – making up 42% of issuance
- Of US green bonds – Muni / provincial / city make up 44%, corporate at 30%, ABS at 18% and banks at 7%
- Largest green bond issuers: Toyota (USD 2.99bn), Southern Power Company (USD 2.24bn) and Apple (USD 1.5bn)
- Prominent municipal issuance includes MTA (USD 782m & 558m) & SFPUC (USD 240m)
- 40% of the entire global Water theme is made up of US issuers, primarily Municipal bonds which have been labelled as green bonds
The USA is well placed to build its domestic green bond base through the municipal markets and more high profile corporate issuance.
Sean Kidney, Climate Bonds CEO:
“The USA is well placed to build its domestic green bond base through the municipal markets and more high profile corporate issuance. Further opportunities exist in clean energy, infrastructure, transport, water and low carbon commercial buildings, particularly in major cities.”
“Internationally, the recent G20 and associated GFSG report recognition of green finance directions now give the US via its development, finance and environment organisations, a unique opportunity to assist smaller nations in green bond demonstration issuance, early market development and regulatory support.”
Like our Facebook Page
How to Find an Eco-Friendly Termite Control Service Provider in Malaysia
Eco-Friendly Vegans Win Most Battles Not the War
3 Iconic Chicago Billboards Eco-Friendly Advertisers Can Learn from
EnviroSolar’s Abe Issa Discusses Success in Green Entrepreneurship
How Sports Could Be Impacted by Climate Change
What Eco-Friendly Patients Should Know about Online Therapy
6 Reasons Why Meal Delivery Services are Eco-Friendly
The Path for Retail’s Sustainable Future
4 Eco-Friendly Ways to Treat a Sinus Infection
4 Strategies for Eco-Friendly Real Estate Investors to Find Properties
How Managed Print Services Helps to Reduce Paper Waste
Why Scientists Are Concerned About ‘Forever Chemicals’ In Drinking Water
Meat Farming Is Only Getting Smarter, Easier & Eco-Friendlier
What is Eco-Friendly Homesteading and How Does it Affect Your Insurance?
Importance of Using a Water Purifier in an Area with High Pollution
Alternative Financing Ideas for Green Businesses that Shun Banks
Tencel Material Demand Shows Britain Is More Eco-Friendlier Than Ireland
How To Invest in Clean Energy Stocks in Only Five Easy Steps!
How To Secure Funding As An Eco-Entrepreneur?
4 Amazing Eco-Friendly Businesses Worth Starting in 2021
- Features8 months ago
Seven Health and Safety Tips for Eco-Friendly Products in a Green Home
- Energy9 months ago
Eco-Friendly Homeowners Lower Carbon Footprints through Greater Air Conditioner Efficiency
- Features8 months ago
Essential Guidelines for Eco-friendly Moving into new Home
- Invest10 months ago
The Eco-Friendly Evolution of Bitcoin Over the Years