All this week, we’ve set out the energy, environment and responsible investment credentials of all five major parties, ahead of the local elections on Thursday May 2.
– First up was the party in power: the Conservatives. Prior to forming a coalition with the Lib Dems in 2010, David Cameron claimed that a Tory-led government would be the “greenest” ever. Whether he has succeeded is up for debate.
– The party in official opposition, Labour, came next. Labour had been in power from 1997-2010 and was the first government in the world to pass a climate bill into law. Since losing the last general election, though, many have claimed the party’s leader Ed Miliband has failed to capitalise on the Conservatives’ green lethargy.
– The Liberal Democrats formed a coalition with the Conservatives in 2010, with leader Nick Clegg becoming deputy prime minister. The party arguably take the strongest stance on renewable energy out of all three main groups.
– Fourth in our series was the Green party, which has grown in popularity in recent years. Former leader Caroline Lucas became the first Green MP when she was elected in Brighton in 2010, and later passed on leadership of the party to Natalie Bennett. Unsurprisingly, the party prioritises environmental and energy concerns above all else.
– Finally, we looked at the UK Independence Party earlier today. After performing well at the Eastleigh by-election in March, leader Nigel Farage – MEP for the south-east – said the party was more than just a protest vote. UKIP’s manifesto is strong on national independence and critical of most renewables. It is the only party to take a sceptical view towards climate change.
After reading all five summaries, all that is left is for you to make up your mind and cast your vote on May 2.
For a full list of local authorities that are voting, and for more details on the elections more generally, see here.
Meanwhile, here’s a reminder of how the five parties fared in the 2009 local elections.
Local election previews:
Like our Facebook Page
Can You Use Your PC In an Eco-Friendly Manner?
How Pain Management Hurts the Environment, and What You Can Do to Help
4 Countries That Have Banned Single-Use Plastic
What Is Your Carbon Footprint and How Can You Reduce it?
How Business Leaders Can Positively Impact Water Scarcity
Plant-Based Protein Coffee is Eco-Friendly & Healthy
Eco-Friendly Restaurants That Are Bringing the Outside Inside
5 Environmental Benefits of Custom Manufacturing
How to Reduce the Carbon Footprint of Your Office
Benefits of Starting an Eco-Friendly eCommerce Business
Brian Sheth and Sheth Sangreal Foundation Donate $15 Million to Global Wildlife Conservation
Eco-Friendly Gardeners Can Make Compost from Organic Waste
8 Great Tips to Find an Eco-Conscious Moving Company
Can Employers Help the Planet with Work from Home Policies?
Creating a Green Basement Environment for a Healthier Home
Switching to an Electric Car to Help the Environment? Here’s How to Find the Cheapest Insurance
More People Are Practicing Eco-Conscious Lawn-Care
Choosing the Best Air Filter as Pollution Levels Worsen
9 Tips to Write Stellar Papers as an Environmental Science Major
Why You Need to Know These Hard Facts About Ethical Investing
- Energy3 months ago
How To Choose the Right Solar Inverter for Your Home?
- Energy3 months ago
How to Choose the Best Solar Panel for Your Home
- Environment10 months ago
Importance of Using a Water Purifier in an Area with High Pollution
- Environment3 months ago
Reduce Industry Footprints with Sustainable Material Swaps