Crowdfunding is one of the best ways for small businesses with brilliant ideas to raise much-needed finance early on in their existence. Think of it as a kind of online Dragon’s Den, though on a smaller scale and without the dragons.
Unlike the popular BBC show, in which people ask the four dragons for a large investment in their enterprise or project, crowdfunding involves seeking a large number of people for a small investment each, and rewarding them for contributing.
We know all too well the impact it can have on a business, having crowdfunded a healthy amount at the back end of last year to finance our final three reports of the year. And so, we scoured the web for interesting green projects and ideas that were currently on the lookout for funding, and decided to give them a little plug in this piece.
Here’s what we came across.
Bristol-based ‘energy justice’ project Demand Energy Equality is venturing into its second crowdfunding project, having exceeded its £5,000 target to build a tree made of solar panels that would power a rain-fed irrigation system at the nursery in the city. This time around, it’s looking for £1,500 to run five solar PV workshops that will help transfer valuable knowledge to people primarily from low-income backgrounds.
Union of Genius is Scotland’s first soup café. Every day, it makes and serves six different types of home-made, organic soups and almost immediately after it opened in October 2011, it was clear that the idea was going to be a success. So much so, that it has now ventured into the wholesale market, which is where its crowdfunding campaign comes in. It’s looking for £10,000 to transform an industrial unit into a commercial kitchen.
‘Old furniture. Made good.’ That’s the slogan of the Living Furniture Project – a social enterprise that employs homeless people to restore and renovate furniture that people no longer want. The work allows the staff to find accommodation, and pick up vital skills that they can use in other professions. The project’s crowdfunding target is £3,000, which will go towards salaries, training, tools and materials.
4. Self Build Affordable Eco-homes: a project that looks to raise funds to construct a training programme for self-build eco-homes.
5. The Green Ninja Show: a YouTube series about the Green Ninja, a superhero that inspires children to take action on climate change.
6. “Country Kids” – Feature Documentary (2013): a documentary film about children in Nicaragua exploring the space where childhood, education, and environment collide.
7. HomeStay Morocco: a responsible tourism project that looks to help women and children in rural Morocco establish financial independence by sharing their lives with tourists looking to get more than just sightseeing out of their holiday.
8. Good Intentions: a film about a man called Josh, who one day decides to do something more with his life and so becomes an active environmental campaigner.
9. HarvestGeek – Brains for your Garden: an enterprise looking to commercially manufacture a device that will increase crop yields for farmers.
10. New Milk Alternative Product: a small project looking to finance the development of its organic, alternative dairy products.
Like our Facebook Page
Can You Use Your PC In an Eco-Friendly Manner?
How Pain Management Hurts the Environment, and What You Can Do to Help
4 Countries That Have Banned Single-Use Plastic
What Is Your Carbon Footprint and How Can You Reduce it?
How Business Leaders Can Positively Impact Water Scarcity
Plant-Based Protein Coffee is Eco-Friendly & Healthy
Eco-Friendly Restaurants That Are Bringing the Outside Inside
5 Environmental Benefits of Custom Manufacturing
How to Reduce the Carbon Footprint of Your Office
Benefits of Starting an Eco-Friendly eCommerce Business
Brian Sheth and Sheth Sangreal Foundation Donate $15 Million to Global Wildlife Conservation
Eco-Friendly Gardeners Can Make Compost from Organic Waste
8 Great Tips to Find an Eco-Conscious Moving Company
Can Employers Help the Planet with Work from Home Policies?
Creating a Green Basement Environment for a Healthier Home
Switching to an Electric Car to Help the Environment? Here’s How to Find the Cheapest Insurance
More People Are Practicing Eco-Conscious Lawn-Care
Choosing the Best Air Filter as Pollution Levels Worsen
9 Tips to Write Stellar Papers as an Environmental Science Major
Why You Need to Know These Hard Facts About Ethical Investing
- Energy3 months ago
How To Choose the Right Solar Inverter for Your Home?
- Energy3 months ago
How to Choose the Best Solar Panel for Your Home
- Environment10 months ago
Importance of Using a Water Purifier in an Area with High Pollution
- Environment3 months ago
Reduce Industry Footprints with Sustainable Material Swaps