Some of the biggest and best known retailers in the UK have pledged their support for this year’s #givingtuesday – the global day of giving.
#givingtuesday – being held in the UK for the third time – takes place on Tuesday 29th November following Black Friday and Cyber Monday. It is led by the Charities Aid Foundation (CAF), which helps individuals and businesses give to good causes.
This year’s campaign is calling on people to ‘do good stuff’ for charities on the day, which can include donating money, volunteering time or doing something to promote a favourite cause. Last year #givingtuesday set a new Guinness World Record for money donated online in 24 hours, with £6,000 per minute donated online to UK charities. Celebrities including JK Rowling, Gary Lineker and Stephen Fry backed the campaign.
Major retailers which have signed up to become a #givingtuesday partner this year include Argos, Asos Foundation, BT, The Entertainer, Homebase, Morrisons, QVC and Sainsbury’s.
They are among around 1,400 UK businesses and charities currently pledging to do something for charity on 29th November.
Charitable activity by retailers on #givingtuesday this year is set to include:
- ASOS Foundation holding a thank you day for staff who support charity through payroll giving and volunteering.
- BT hosting a #givingtuesday Power Hour at the BT Tower for partners on the morning of #givingtuesday. The event is being hosted by BT MyDonate and CAF.
- The Entertainer celebrating its charitable activity with window displays in every high street store. Shop windows will have a #givingtuesday thank you display celebrating staff’s charitable contributions via payroll giving.
- Morrisons raising money for its charity partner Sue Ryder. Checkout staff will be wearing Sue Ryder sashes and #givingtuesday stickers and offering customers the opportunity to top up their shop with a £1 donation.
- QVC launching a charity T-shirt to sell on air for charity partner Nest as part of an international campaign.
- Sainsbury’s encouraging staff to ‘do good stuff’ and promoting its charitable programmes including local heroes volunteering, community budget donations, food donations and payroll giving.
It is fantastic that so many major retailers have signed up to help making #givingtuesday 2016 the biggest and best yet.
Hannah Terrey, Head of Policy and Campaigns at CAF, said:
“Retailers across the UK make a significant contribution to good causes, from getting staff to lend a hand in the local community to big partnerships with major charities. It is fantastic that so many major retailers have signed up to help making #givingtuesday 2016 the biggest and best yet.
“This is a day for everyone to ‘do good stuff’ for a cause they care about, whether that’s donating money, volunteering time or simply talking about their favourite charities.
“Just like Black Friday, #givingtuesday has now established itself as a regular fixture in the festive calendar here in the UK. For businesses this can be a great opportunity to showcase their work with good causes and involve staff and customers in their charitable endeavours.”
David Scott, Head of Corporate Affairs at Morrisons, said:
“We’re delighted to be getting involved with #givingtuesday again this year, and hope our customers really get behind the day.”
Like our Facebook Page
Investing in a Sustainable Environmental Future for Northern Virginia
Prominent Trends in Seafood Sustainability in 2022
Can PEMF Help To Improve Plant Growth for Eco-Friendly Gardeners
How the U.S. Government is Promoting Green Energy in the Country
12 Essential Things for Buying Your First Home
Harnessing Sustainability with User-Centric Technology Innovation
Making Your Dream of Having an Eco-Friendly Garden Come True
Tips for Optimal Waste Management in Your Home
The Agricultural Benefits of Weather Stations for Eco-Friendly Farmers
What Makes Online Furniture Eco-Friendly?
7 Eco-Friendly Plant-Based Alternatives for Everyday Products
Top 5 Benefits of Eco-Friendly Cars
Why Eco-Friendly Homes Should Have Outdoor Bathrooms
Merits of Sustainability Reporting: What Every Manager Must Know
Low Emission and Clean Air Zones: What You Need To Know
4 Ways To Build A Sustainable Home
CEO Brian Ladin Explains How The Shipping Industry Is Going Green
A Guide to Eco-Friendly Landscaping
Why Transitioning Your Company to an EV Fleet Makes Sense?
6 Practices for Sustainable and Eco-Friendly Plant Operations
- Features11 months ago
Seven Health and Safety Tips for Eco-Friendly Products in a Green Home
- Energy11 months ago
Eco-Friendly Homeowners Lower Carbon Footprints through Greater Air Conditioner Efficiency
- Features11 months ago
Essential Guidelines for Eco-friendly Moving into new Home
- Features10 months ago
5 Compelling Reasons to Hire an Eco-Friendly Contractor