Some of the biggest and best known retailers in the UK have pledged their support for this year’s #givingtuesday – the global day of giving.
#givingtuesday – being held in the UK for the third time – takes place on Tuesday 29th November following Black Friday and Cyber Monday. It is led by the Charities Aid Foundation (CAF), which helps individuals and businesses give to good causes.
This year’s campaign is calling on people to ‘do good stuff’ for charities on the day, which can include donating money, volunteering time or doing something to promote a favourite cause. Last year #givingtuesday set a new Guinness World Record for money donated online in 24 hours, with £6,000 per minute donated online to UK charities. Celebrities including JK Rowling, Gary Lineker and Stephen Fry backed the campaign.
Major retailers which have signed up to become a #givingtuesday partner this year include Argos, Asos Foundation, BT, The Entertainer, Homebase, Morrisons, QVC and Sainsbury’s.
They are among around 1,400 UK businesses and charities currently pledging to do something for charity on 29th November.
Charitable activity by retailers on #givingtuesday this year is set to include:
- ASOS Foundation holding a thank you day for staff who support charity through payroll giving and volunteering.
- BT hosting a #givingtuesday Power Hour at the BT Tower for partners on the morning of #givingtuesday. The event is being hosted by BT MyDonate and CAF.
- The Entertainer celebrating its charitable activity with window displays in every high street store. Shop windows will have a #givingtuesday thank you display celebrating staff’s charitable contributions via payroll giving.
- Morrisons raising money for its charity partner Sue Ryder. Checkout staff will be wearing Sue Ryder sashes and #givingtuesday stickers and offering customers the opportunity to top up their shop with a £1 donation.
- QVC launching a charity T-shirt to sell on air for charity partner Nest as part of an international campaign.
- Sainsbury’s encouraging staff to ‘do good stuff’ and promoting its charitable programmes including local heroes volunteering, community budget donations, food donations and payroll giving.
It is fantastic that so many major retailers have signed up to help making #givingtuesday 2016 the biggest and best yet.
Hannah Terrey, Head of Policy and Campaigns at CAF, said:
“Retailers across the UK make a significant contribution to good causes, from getting staff to lend a hand in the local community to big partnerships with major charities. It is fantastic that so many major retailers have signed up to help making #givingtuesday 2016 the biggest and best yet.
“This is a day for everyone to ‘do good stuff’ for a cause they care about, whether that’s donating money, volunteering time or simply talking about their favourite charities.
“Just like Black Friday, #givingtuesday has now established itself as a regular fixture in the festive calendar here in the UK. For businesses this can be a great opportunity to showcase their work with good causes and involve staff and customers in their charitable endeavours.”
David Scott, Head of Corporate Affairs at Morrisons, said:
“We’re delighted to be getting involved with #givingtuesday again this year, and hope our customers really get behind the day.”
Like our Facebook Page
How Cities In Canada Are Addressing Climate Change
10 Tax Incentives for Businesses That are Lowering their Carbon Footprint
How to Manage Anxieties About Climate Change
Green Brands Must Understand Their Customers to Market Wisely
Key Necessities for Starting an Eco-Friendly Freelance Business
6 Ways To Overcome Cash Flow Challenges as a Green Business
Going Cashless Lowers Our Carbon Footprint and Has Other Pros and Cons
How to Be as Eco-Friendly as Possible on a Trip to New York
Why Brazed Plate Heat Exchangers Are Eco-Friendly
6 Steps For Making Crypto & Blockchain Eco-Friendly
Building a Career in Green Construction: Tips and Insights
Top 5 Benefits of Workplace Sustainability
The Role of Smart Technology in Managing EV Charging Stations
4 USA Vacation Destinations for an Eco-Friendly Trip
6 Wastewater Management Tips to Reduce Water Pollution
Why Internet Faxing Is A Sustainable Business Move
5 Ways Eco-Friendly Employers Can Boost Efficiency
What to Look for When Choosing an Eco-Friendly Locksmith
Flexible Return Policies Can Make Retail More Sustainable
Using Green Patents to Drive Sustainability & Eco-Friendly Designs
- Environment3 months ago
6 Home Improvements You Can Make to Help the Environment
- Environment10 months ago
4 Countries That Have Banned Single-Use Plastic
- Features9 months ago
5 Huge Support Tips for Eco-friendly eCommerce Brands
- Environment7 months ago
How to Ensure Your Home’s Eco-Friendly During Construction?