Virgin Media has announces a set of new sustainability goals that will see the UK’s internet provider do more good with digital, while growing responsibly and sustainably.
As part of its new sustainability strategy, Virgin Media is committed to achieving five ambitious goals in the next five years.
* Transform the lives of disadvantaged people in the UK through digital technology.
- Branson and Polman among business leaders calling for tough emission targets
- Responsible tourism: Virgin to ditch partners that capture wild whales and dolphins
- Top articles of the week: September 6
- Sir Richard Branson set for Virgin Banking float worth £2bn
- Richard Branson says goodbye to environmentally-intensive beef
* Give 100,000 small businesses the ability to thrive in the UK’s economy through digital.
* Expand ultrafast broadband to 4m more premises without increasing its carbon footprint.
* Nurture a workforce which represents the diversity of its customers and communities
* Improve the sustainability performance of every new customer product.
To meet its pledge to transform the lives of disadvantaged people in the UK, Virgin Media has launched a breakthrough two year partnership with disability charity Scope. With 53%of households in the UK including at least one disabled person, the £1m partnership aims to transform the lives of disabled people through digital technology.
Virgin Media will also connect 4 million more UK homes and businesses to ultrafast broadband through “Project Lightning” in the next five years without increasing its carbon footprint. To do this the company will invest in the energy efficiency of its network, increase the fuel-efficiency of its fleet and explore on-site renewable technology options.
In recognition of the importance of small businesses to the UK economy, Virgin Media will create opportunities for 100,000 small businesses through broadband access, inspiration, skills and advice.
Brigitte Trafford, Chief Corporate Affairs Officer at Virgin Media, said: “We have the power, the people and the ambition to change lives. Virgin Media is committed to delivering our five goals over the next five years proving the positive impact that technology can have on society and the environment.”