Take afternoon tea like a Georgian and help celebrate 300 years of Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown, England’s greatest landscape gardener
Authentic 18th Century ‘Capabili-Tea’ recipes available to help you give the great British teatime tradition a Georgian twist – at home, on a picnic or by hosting your own event
The Capability Brown Festival 2016 is marking the extraordinary life, work and legacy of 18th century landscape gardener Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown with hundreds of events across the country. As part of these activities we are encouraging as many people as possible to join in and celebrate the 300th anniversary since his birth with a Capabili-Tea.
Working with Hudson’s Historic Houses and Gardens 2016, the Capability Brown Festival Team have made a number of authentic recipes available for anyone wanting to have their own Capabili-Tea. You can try the recipes at home, host your own event or even take them on a picnic to enjoy in a splendid Brown landscape.
The recipes are all available to download from the Capability Brown Festival website and include:
- The famous Sally Lunns – History leaves no evidence of a flour-dusted, apple cheeked baker named Sally Lunn, rather this English version of brioche was probably brought by Huguenots fleeing persecution in 17th Century France and the name is a corruption of Solimemne, a sweet bread from Alsace.
- Jumbles – A popular biscuit flavoured with aniseed, shaped into a knot which derives its name from gemmel or twin. A gemmel ring, fashionable at the time, was a ring with two interlocking sections.
- Seed cake – Modern raising agents have replaced the use of yeast which was required for nearly every Georgian cake, and here it is flavoured with caraway seeds
- Gingerbread – Nutmeg, ground cloves and ground mace and candied peel give this ginergbread a distinctive flavour.
- Georgian Sandwiches – The Earl of Sandwich’s legendary snack was almost certainly beef and one myth for the origin of mayonnaise places it in Mahon in Menorca, an important British Mediterranean port for most of the 18th Century. Here is a delicious updating of a Georgian sandwich.
Ceryl Evans, Festival Director said: ‘It was not until the Georgian period that tea became cheaper and more easily available and it quickly became the nation’s favourite beverage – served in cafes, coffee houses, tearooms and tea gardens, which reached their popularity in the mid-18thCentury.
‘Given the impact of tea at the time of Capability Brown, we have created Capabili-Teas as a fun way for people to get involved in the Festival, whether they are visiting a Brown site or not and to get people thinking about life in Georgian times by trying out the recipes for themselves.’
During Brown’s amazing career he advised on around 250 sites covering an area of around 200 square miles, running a business stretching across England and Wales. The Capability Brown Festival runs throughout 2016, with 100s of events over 60 sites, helping to tell the story of the impact and importance of this landscaping genius. There is a focus on events from March until October 2016.
We are keen for people to share their Capabilli-Teas stories by following us on social media and sharing your stories and photos: @BrownCapability or #CapabiliTea
Visit www.capabilitybrown.org/capabili-teas for more details of recipes and how to get involved. You can also find out more about events that are part of the Festival.
Some Capability Brown sites involved in the Festival will also be taking part in Capabili-Teas in the coming months. Details of these sites will be available on the website.
Like our Facebook Page
Can You Maximize Your Profits While Investing Ethically?
Environmental Benefits of Living in Miami. Why Is It Worth Moving There?
5 Ways To Shift To Green Energy At Home
Advantages of Free-Range Farming for Eco-Friendly Consumers
What is Eco-Friendly Investing and How Can You Embrace It?
Green Software Ideas to Implement with an Offshore Development Team
5 Things Eco-Conscious Consumers Should Know About Private Wells
The True Environmental and Social Costs of Mined Diamonds
20 Incredible Facts Eco-Tourists Should Know About Dubai
5 Massive Benefits of Turning to Renewable Energy
6 Tips For Getting the Most from a Solar-Powered Home
7 Excellent Ways to Live a Greener Lifestyle in 2021
How the Property Industry Is Embracing Eco-Friendliness Across the Board
Sustainability in Construction: Methods to Mitigate Environmental Impacts
New Company is Driving ESG Infrastructure Development in Mining
10 Tips to Turn Your Next Holiday into an Eco-Friendly Celebration
4 Benefits of Commuting with a Bicycle as an Eco-Friendly Consumer
Some Important Facts about Eco-Friendly Glass Railings
Impact Proof of Stake Ethereum Mining on Power Industry Sustainability
7 Business Survival Guidelines All Eco-Friendly Entrepreneurs Must Follow
- Features10 months ago
Eco-Friendly Hacks To Create A Durable Shop For Your Home
- Energy6 months ago
Eco-Friendly Homeowners Lower Carbon Footprints through Greater Air Conditioner Efficiency
- Features5 months ago
Seven Health and Safety Tips for Eco-Friendly Products in a Green Home
- Features10 months ago
5 Simple Ways To Create A Greener And Healthier Home