It’s the annual bonfire, fireworks, baked potato and sticky treacle fest, a bonfireworkpotatotreaclefest (neologism of the day). This is the 410th anniversary of the gunpowder plot of 1605. Roughly 20 million people will attend firework displays. And around £40m will be spent. It’s great fun, not entirely ‘green’, but every year many people and animals suffer.
We’ve written about Bonfire night on a couple of occasions, which we link to here.
– Top tips to make your Bonfire night an environmentally-friendly celebration
– Gunpowder, treason and carbon emissions
But while we’re all putting waterproofs, scarves and mittens on our excited little ones, the overstretched NHS will be gearing up for those who are harmed (shocking image advisory!). Here are some facts from the NHS about fireworks and potential risks of not using them properly:
– Fireworks are not toys. They are explosives and the injuries they can cause can be devastating.
– Sparklers get five times hotter than cooking oil.
– A rocket can reach speeds of 150mph.
– A firework shell can reach as high as 200m.
– Three sparklers burning together generate the same heat as a blowtorch.
– You see the explosion of a firework before hearing it because sound travels at 761mph, but light travels at 671 million mph.
– The majority of firework-related injuries happen at family or private parties.
– Around half of all injuries are to children under the age of 17.
– The most common injuries are to hands, followed by the eyes and face.
– Fireworks are safer now than they have been in the past, thanks to safety standards. Make sure your fireworks comply with British Standard 7114 or its European equivalent. Instructions should be in English.
The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) has some useful advice here.
And some great information from Blue Cross about fireworks and animals can be found here.
And don’t forget to check you bonfire for wildlife before you light it. Always best to build this perfect habitat for birds, hedgehogs, etc. just before the event.
Like our Facebook Page
Can You Maximize Your Profits While Investing Ethically?
Environmental Benefits of Living in Miami. Why Is It Worth Moving There?
5 Ways To Shift To Green Energy At Home
Advantages of Free-Range Farming for Eco-Friendly Consumers
What is Eco-Friendly Investing and How Can You Embrace It?
Green Software Ideas to Implement with an Offshore Development Team
5 Things Eco-Conscious Consumers Should Know About Private Wells
The True Environmental and Social Costs of Mined Diamonds
20 Incredible Facts Eco-Tourists Should Know About Dubai
5 Massive Benefits of Turning to Renewable Energy
6 Tips For Getting the Most from a Solar-Powered Home
7 Excellent Ways to Live a Greener Lifestyle in 2021
How the Property Industry Is Embracing Eco-Friendliness Across the Board
Sustainability in Construction: Methods to Mitigate Environmental Impacts
New Company is Driving ESG Infrastructure Development in Mining
10 Tips to Turn Your Next Holiday into an Eco-Friendly Celebration
4 Benefits of Commuting with a Bicycle as an Eco-Friendly Consumer
Some Important Facts about Eco-Friendly Glass Railings
Impact Proof of Stake Ethereum Mining on Power Industry Sustainability
7 Business Survival Guidelines All Eco-Friendly Entrepreneurs Must Follow
- Features12 months ago
Eco-Friendly Interior Design Is Easier Than You Might Think
- Features10 months ago
Eco-Friendly Hacks To Create A Durable Shop For Your Home
- Energy6 months ago
Eco-Friendly Homeowners Lower Carbon Footprints through Greater Air Conditioner Efficiency
- Features5 months ago
Seven Health and Safety Tips for Eco-Friendly Products in a Green Home